Monday, July 20, 2009

The continuous winding...





I lost touch with a good friend who moved to El Paso many, many years ago but still remember a few words of wisdom he passed along about cars and life:

"You've got to wind-out the gear, man. Don't shift too early!"

Never has this been more true than in my late 30's, and with a broken hand (which I am currently struggling with to type this post. You should see the unedited version...)

I continue to push every decade harder than the one before it, occasionally falling victim to laziness but ultimately rising above and accepting change for what it is. This is basically "winding out the gears", or hitting redline as you near the last of what made you you in the previous ten years. For me, it has been the clinging belief that I can do anything physically and my love life can be put on hold until I "get older".

Well, older is NOW.

I finally took the leap and jumped on an explicit online dating service to see what would result. And boy, it's just exactly what I expected to find. Kinda like myspace, but everyone's on a much shorter timeline. "I'm paying for THIS, so here's my phone number! CALL ME!"

The demons of my 20's still follow me, but I have cast them aside temporarily in the hopes that someone else out there wants to share some of the more funny and quirky moments of my life. Still, I hate the meat market, and was never terribly comfortable with any kind of stranger-meets-stranger-for-love scenario. Meh. Whatever works I guess. Continue to embrace change, however uncomfortable it might be.

Speaking of change, it seems I've miscalculated my time in this stupid new hand cast. Five weeks, not three.

Given that I am now typing with both hands, I'm not so sure I want to wait out the last two...

: )

"Paging Dr. Dremel. Dr. Dremel to the garage woodbench, STAT!"

No comments: