Friday, July 3, 2009

Summer doldrums...

It's been a while since I had a chance to post anything coherent, and now in the oppressive South Texas July heat I have a chance to do so (while hiding inside under a 79 degree air conditioning vent!)

Roughly 3 weeks ago I broke several bones in my right hand while goofing off on a mountain bike ride. As I type all of this left-handed, I think back on how the accident occurred and, most importantly, why it is paramount to stay FOCUSSED when straying into dangerous situations. Attempting to show off to a friend on some BMX trails landed me face-first into the dirt and crumpled onto my bony right hand. On the lamest, tiniest camel-hump of a BMX jump ever. Way to go, idiot!

Now, three weeks later, I am only left with the constant nerve pain and aggravation of a smelly, sticky arm cast and the lopery that results from contantly lugging the thing around.

Until today.

I have been fighting with my doctor's office staff about coming in 3 days earlier than scheduled in order to remove my abomination of a cast, only to be snubbed every time. "We are closed Friday because of the holiday" or, "We are very busy on Thursday - you won't be able to fit in!" Say what you will about managed medicine, this is what I call bullshit stupidity. The poorest form of customer service as it applies to your very health.

I want to say here that I really REALLY tried to be patient, as I have been all my life. But to literally be told, "No. No!" on the phone when requesting an advance appointment is incomprehensible.

So I have done what any rational, thinking human would have done in dire straits: I have taken therapy into my own hands. After some careful research and consideration of the health hazards involved, I've paid my dues to Dr. Dremel and very gently extracted myself from this short arm fiberglass rotting cast. I'm sure there will be some discontent when seeing the Dr. in the next 24hrs, but you do what you have to.

I want to make sure there is no misunderstanding of my motivations to remove my own cast in this video. The timeline was met ( 3 weeks) and the subsequent splint was wrapped with finger support in outriggers. The fear of bone or rotational deformity should make everyone thinking about doing this THINK TWICE.

See your doctor and stay on schedule, but don't put up with petty office scheduling bullshit if you can't afford it health-wise.

What your $100 co-pay to Dr. Dremel will get you from hjv on Vimeo.

No comments: