Sunday, August 9, 2009

One cast, two cast.



Finally out of the things. Good riddance hot and stifling summer.

It occurs to me after I am out of the infernal things WHY you are better off being in a cast after suffering a bone fracture. The idea, apparently, goes beyond protection. The sheer immobility promotes atrophy and ligament "shrinkage", which appears to pull the fracture tighter together. This combination of immobility and protection (from further breakage and trauma) allows the bone to heal undisturbed for as long as the cast remains on.

The only problem: Seizing up or calcification of the joints.

I'm currently learning how to make a fist again after not having done so in 2 months. Very painful to do so, but not as painful as the Hand Doctor pressing down on my broken metacarpal with his viselike fingers after I complained about pain! Some people. Sheesh.

Hope everyone else is doing fine and healing on time.

Got to mow the lawn and push an olympic bar a few times on the bench this afternoon.

Can't remember a time when I was happier!

No comments: