Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The unseen fire.





As I push past the age of the average medieval king, I start to take notice of some individuals who, like me, seem to burn with the unseen fire.

I'm referring to the intense passion, wisdom, and intelligence that few people seem to possess nowadays on at any point in their lives. Sure you may have faith, or aptitude, or even good health. But how often do those attributes all come together in a perfect union for DECADES at a time?

Rare.

I am, however, convinced I've burned away most of my potential in self-seclusion considering how often I chafe at "the bit". In a slightly different timeline, I might have been a mercenary, a child prodigy, or even a charismatic leader of nations. But sometimes you just shun the limelight and want to be alone.

Too bad.

I spend an inordinate amount of time in my life wondering "what could have been" or "what's next?" Don't let yourself become like me. Being alone is fine for some, but the notion that you have wasted your youth and great opportunity is difficult to live down as age creeps in.

1 comment:

S. said...

I hear you.