Monday, April 6, 2009

The Flip Mino HD goes sailing at OP Schnabel Park

So I decided to pick up a Flip Mino HD this weekend, mostly because I've been wanting to try real-time video recording of my mountain biking for years (some attempts using older 8mm cameras have been a disaster!)


This little camera seemed to do the trick, as it was about 1/2 the size of a pack of cigarettes and weighed about as much (2 or 3 ounces).

I built this tiny mount using some wing nuts, washers, and an old bike headlamp mount and parked the Flip Mino HD on it. Despite being very sturdy, the mount could not prevent the little HD camera from producing "crackling" and "undulating" in the resulting video clips. Nevertheless, it was a pretty cool experiment that is easily reproducible by any mountain biker who wants to record some of their exploits. The Mino weighs about 3 ounces.



My biggest complaints are:

1) Audio sensitivity leads to the track "crackling" or "popping". This is unavoidable.
2) Video quality is poor when the camera vibrates, leading to a "waviness" or undulation in the track when played back.

My biggest recommendations are:

1) Small size
2) Nearly weightless!

2 comments:

rackerhacker said...

I love my Flip MinoHD. Haven't tried it on a bike yet.

Have you tried it on a boat? :-)

San Antonio Lament said...

Sadly, I have discovered my Flip is the "SD" or Standard Definition model.
Oh well, good enough for some fun bike runs!