Sunday, March 29, 2009

Went flying today...

Got a chance to go flying today - off my bike and into a small grove of trees at about 10mph.



The stupid rider who blindsided me going the WRONG way up a race trail had the nuts to ask me,

"Where's your helmet?"

as I lay crumpled in the gravel.

I couldn't rise to my feet fast enough to punch him in the face. In fact, rising to my feet was quite a task in itself, and I had to limp around a bit leaning on the bike before I felt brave enough to ride again.

The funnest part about crashing on a bike is not knowing EXACTLY what you've injured for a few minutes. You usually spot some blood on your hand or maybe something is in your eye (a skin avulsion) and you have to do a body/bike check before moving on. This time, I was lucky. I narrowly avoided tearing my face off in the bark of a small oak, but ripped up my right knee and right forearm on some ugly rocks.



As I half stumbled/half rode away, the rider managed to come back around and almost knock me over again!

I made some comment about, "I keep running into you" but was in too much pain to do anything but keep moving forward. I don't know what the dude's problem was, but I managed to run into him AGAIN as I crested a small hill to allow my blood to cool off in the stiff Southern wind. At this point, I sank into Delta Wave mode and just watched as he went by - ready to tear something off him (like an eye or nose) if he got too close.



Adding to the joy was a 4 mile ride home, with some ugly black abrasions down my knee reminding me that I was hurt and needed to do some wound management. As I swept into my neighborhood roads, I was almost hit from behind by a woman driving a small Hyundai.

*sigh*

The pain set in as I rode into my garage and managed to clean up the bike of dirt and blood for a few minutes with an old t-shirt. Spent some time scrubbing off my arm and leg wounds with isopropyl alcohol and soap. The word "burn" does not sufficiently express the pain I felt while doing this.

Anyway, nothing a rum and Advil cocktail can't fix.

: )

2 comments:

Skye said...

Have you ever thought of taking up Scrabble, H.?

San Antonio Lament said...

I've ridden the race trails since they were first created (about 15 years ago) and was always curious as to when I would hit someone going the wrong way.

It wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't "powered into" the second set of hills, which put me face-to-face with Mr. Clueless while in mid-air.

Need to run now. My left index finger is apparently jammed as well and typing is not easy.

Thanks for the comment!