Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Faster than a speeding bullet

One of life's ironies is that despite man's ability to process thought in picoseconds, we still have to endure the pitfalls of groupthink.

Case in point: Traffic jams.

While the average driver in my lane at 5 o' clock can probably understand that they need to maintain a safe distance from the car ahead of them, as well as the one behind them, we all generally fall into a "hurry up and wait" queue when lanes glom into one large, undulating snake of traffic...

I used to stress about the driving habits of the folks around me during rush hour, but now enjoy a kind of disconnected bliss while driving home - similar to the bliss of running after work, which gives me time to sort out my plans for the week as well as review what I've done during the course of the day. Brain Flush. Not even worried about being on the phone while steering. Especially at 5mph.

Still, I wonder about people like the lady behind me in the slow lane this afternoon. She essentially threw up her hands in disgust when she realized that I was not going any faster than about 40mph. IN THE SLOW LANE. With a fast lane wide-open and waiting.

What did she do?

She crossed over in a huff to the fast lane and proceeded to merge into standstill traffic on the congested interstate. While I motored along and thunk happy thoughts about the afternoon.

The NERVE of some people to actually think the slow lane is for slow traffic!

Now if we could just drive at the speed of thought...

No comments: